Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Recital Project: Part 2

This past Saturday was my last day teaching for the year. I've only been teaching these classes since January since I was in New York in the fall, but time sure does fly by! This time of year is always so bittersweet because I'm looking forward to the recital and seeing how everything turns out, but I will certainly miss the good times I had with my classes. I talked about this in my post, The End of a Great Dance Season, which was after last year's recital when it was my first year teaching. Last year was my first time being on the opposite side as a teacher rather than a dancer in the show, but I've gotten used to it and I look forward to seeing all of my students on stage :)

So, on the last day of classes, I had my final two dress rehearsals. The first of these two is my Experienced 4 jazz routine titled, "I <3 NYC". The song is a remix of Frank Sinatra's, "New York, New York". This dance means a lot to me since I lived in NYC for four months and it was probably the best four months of my life. Seeing the girls act like they are tourists in the city and doing the Broadway jazz-style moves reminds me of the great times I had in the Big Apple. This dance is fun, upbeat, and theatrical, which represents the city of New York oh, so well. Seeing it performed with their adorable costumes was just the icing on the cake.


My last class is my Teen 3 lyrical. These girls are always so sweet, focused, and hard-working, and I am so grateful to have them as my students. Their piece is called, "Imagine", and the song is a cover by Taio Cruz of the original "Imagine" sung by John Lennon. This dance is also very special to me, and it was inspired by being in New York as well. Early last fall, Brody and I were exploring our new backyard, Central Park. We went down to 72nd street where there's the building where John Lennon was killed. In that part of the park there's a memorial for him, and to this day, people still put flowers there.


This picture and the song inspired me to create a dance where the dancers work together to express the peace, love, and harmony that John Lennon wished for the world.

No comments: