Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Save the Drama For Your Mama

So, last night was the finale of Dance Moms followed by the premiere of Dance Moms Miami. I'm not going to lie, it was a pretty bittersweet night. But, if I had any doubt before, now I am certain that the show is completely staged. There were so many events such as the "Joffrey Ballet audition", Kendall doing the same dance as Chloe, and Maddie abruptly running off stage in the middle of a turn combo that were not quite believable. First of all, what dancer doesn't have a black leotard and tights, and why in the world would you even consider doing an acro routine at a ballet audition? The fact that the girls had to do a ballet crash course right before this huge audition says something about the type of training that they receive, but all studios are different I suppose. The drama reached a whole new level when Abby left the competition after an emotional breakdown. The drama and ridiculous behavior is what sucks viewers in, for whatever reason, so they had to do something that would make us hang on until June, which is when the show will continue.
As Dance Moms Miami began, I got the same feeling that you get when you go to a new school or start a new job. Everything and everyone is unfamiliar, I felt nervous, and despite the craziness of the original cast, I missed them. It sounds silly, but when you watch the same people every week for months, you kind of get attached. Oh, the joys of reality t.v. Despite the newness and unfamiliarity of the new season, I have a feeling based on the first episode and YouTube videos that I will like Stars Studio's style better than Abby Lee's. Abby's choreography started to get very repetitive, and any choreography I have seen from Victor and Angel has been completely different and unique every time. Their dancers seem very strong and versatile.

It was rumored that Stars dancer, Mia Diaz, would appear on this new season. She wasn't in the first episode, so I'm not sure if she'll be included, but I've seen her videos on YouTube and I'm very impressed. She's only 10 years old, but she has such a great facility and artistry. I'm currently obsessed with this solo:

No comments: