Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November: The Month of Giving Thanks

Because of the American holiday, November is a month where many people are reminded to give thanks and appreciate everything great that is in their life. Surprisingly, November is almost over, and I want to try to extend my gratitude and positive attitude into the months that lie ahead. How is this possible when the challenges and stress of daily life take over?

We won't always have a holiday to remind us to be thankful, but when you have trained your mind and gotten in touch with your inner presence, joy and happiness illuminate from you naturally. Finding happiness and gratitude is like getting in shape; you have to find a practice that works for you and stick to it. You can't work out once and expect to lose 20 pounds. Something I like to do is think of 3 things a day that I am thankful for. You can do this first thing in the morning, before bed, or any time you are feeling unhappy or stressed. But try to do it every day. When you feel abundant, you attract more abundance to yourself.

Also, since I have less than two weeks left in my program at BDC, I would like to list the things that I have been grateful for during these past couple months and reflect on my experiences in NYC.

  • First of all, I am grateful for NYC itself. This city is full of wonder and incredible opportunities, and I feel so fortunate to be able to live here and experience all it has to offer.
  • I am grateful for The Professional Semester and every single person who makes it possible. This program has changed me in so many ways, and I can't even imagine my life without all of this valuable information and training. This has been the experience of a life time!
  • I am so grateful to have an art form that I love and practice every single day. Dancing has added so much to my life for 16 years and I have no clue what I would do without it. I am grateful that I found this passion at such a young age and stuck with it for this long. There are always going to be obstacles and uncertainties in life, but this is my one certain thing.
  • I am grateful for the family and friends that have supported me during this time. Great experiences are even greater when you can share them with people that you love. 
  • I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am grateful for the singing and acting training that I have recieved at BDC. Hindsight is 20/20, and I now realize how beneficial those classes really were. Having to sing or act in front of anyone still scares me to death, but now I have the tools to channel those feelings into my work, and the experience I got with facing my fears directly is priceless.
  • I am grateful for having the best of both worlds. Living next to Central Park was wonderful. I got to experience the busy rush of the city, but when it all became too much, I had an easy escape. I will never forget the leisurely strolls through the beautiful, natural scenery, especially in autumn as the leaves began to change. Being around nature helps me stay calm and put everything into perspective. Everything on this earth is connected through life, so when I am connected with nature, that's when I am truly myself.
Speaking of nature, here are some of my favorite shots from one of those leisurely strolls in Central Park. Autumn in New York is truly beautiful :)











1 comment:

Aunt Michele said...

Loved this :)