Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

My Day At Cecil Dancenter's Summer Intensive

Today, I taught at Cecil Dancenter's level 7-9 dance intensive and I had a great time! There are 14 dancers taking the intensive this week and I can already tell they're going to learn and improve with this experience. We started off the morning with ballet and I taught them a contemporary style ballet combination to the song, Lux Aeterna from the movie Requiem For a Dream. The song is very dark and dramatic, so I thought it would be a good change for the girls and a way for them to become more well rounded.

Then, they had the pleasure of viewing a performance by an extremely talented Irish dancer and she taught them a routine! The dance looked challenging because the steps were so foreign and it was very fast, but they had fun. We rounded out the afternoon with jazz and lyrical. The jazz combo was to Till the World Ends by Britney Spears and lyrical was to Fearless by Colbie Caillat. I felt like the day was a success because the dancers were challenged in a positive way and they ended the day feeling tired and worn out, but they pushed through until the end. I told them, you should never "mark" anything if you really want to improve. You should leave here feeling tired, sweaty, and sore. With dedication and hard work, anything is possible.





Contemporary ballet combo:

Jazz combo:

Lyrical combo:

Here is a link to my Youtube channel where you can see these videos along with others:

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Tina Lawson said...

You make these girls shine. You do such a wonderful job with them I really wish you were teaching this fall. We will miss you.